This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Way Huge Saffron Squeeze

Here's Way Huge's take on the Ross Compressor. This is based on an original from the mid 90s that was traced over on FSB. It will fit in a 1590B with side mounted jacks or a 125B with top mounted jacks.

4 comments:

  1. Have some 13700s coming in tomorrow and I'm going to attempt this one. How should the trimmer be set?

    ReplyDelete
  2. tag it. Really good comp, similar to the eng's thumb. Used a nte996 chip and bc550s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no output. I checked the build, which matched the above.

    I could not find a Saffron Squeeze schematic anywhere, but a comparison with the schematic of the Ross Compressor shows the Ross power section using a 56K and a 27K resistor, which would generate a Vb of only 2.93V from a notional 9V.

    So, I swapped the 5K6 resistor shown in the above layout for a 56K, and it now appears to work fine. Unsurprisingly, it does not sound that dissimilar to my Ross Compressor. I used a CA3080 and MPSA18s.

    ReplyDelete