This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Friday, May 19, 2017

Crazy Tube Circuits Starlight

Here's the Starlight fuzz from Crazy Tube Circuits for Fuzz Friday. Much like the Ziggy Overdrive from Crazy Tube, it's a string of FET stages in a row, only with a lot more them (and also some MOSFETs as diodes thrown in). It's laid out for board mounted pots and designed to fit in a 125B with top mounted jacks.


10 comments:

  1. What the what? 9 transistors?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why not 99? challange accepted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok the layout works! I first tried some j201s but I think I might have a few bad ones, didn't really sound all that great. So I tried some PF5102s and adjusted the trimmers to taste.. sounds pretty good! It's late so I couldn't really put it through all the paces but it does go from drive to distortion to fuzz. I also tried both 2n7000 and bs170, didn't notice too much difference. Note the pinout of a bs170 is reversed, but I believe these are clippers so not sure it matters. Will give it another go when I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for verifying Ralf! Yes, the MOSFETs are clippers, but it does matter what their orientation is.

      Delete
  4. What does the "5K" potentiometer???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I have another question, the potentiometers where they are connected?

    Note: My english is not good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're connected to the empty pads on the layout. If you look at the perf side and use the letter/number coordinates, Gain is at L2,4,6 Tone at D9,11,13 and Volume at L16,18,20. You can either use right angle pcb mount pots or use hookup wire.

      Delete
    2. perfect!! , thank you very much.

      Delete