This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Wattson EFY-6

For Fuzz Friday, here's the Wattson EFY-6. This is Wattson Classic Electronics take on the classic Shin-Ei FY-6 (also known as the Univox Super Fuzz) and stays fairly faithful to the original circuit, but with a few straight forward and useful mods. The schematic and a full explanation of the circuit was posted on FSB by amp_surgeon (the guy behind Wattson). The originals have the Balance pot as a trimmer, but I've included pads for either a trimmer or external pot. I've laid it out for board mounted pots to fit in a 125B with top mounted jacks.


14 comments:

  1. Sweet. Any thoughts on replacement for NTE109? 1n34a? 1n270?

    Btw, I've got the schematic for CAF in case you've missed my reply :)
    https://effectslayouts.blogspot.ru/2016/10/death-by-audio-robot.html?showComment=1477061504469&m=0#c4281005939865456674

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1N34 or 270s would be a good sub. And don't worry, the CAF is coming ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, can you please make layout of this delay with all the pots and rotary-s boardmounted? http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ru/2015/10/sagan-delay.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work friend as always, I didn't see octave multiplexer or similar kind of pedal, there are a lot of octave-fuzz pedals in this blog,I'd like to see unique octave pedal clone from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had someone ask me about this last night...you're the man!!! Great work as always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    You can mark it verified, though the balance knob acts kinda strange...

    I'll post my build pic later.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, man! I've wanted a Wattson Classic EFY-6 so very badly, and they evaporated! THANK YOU for this- I may have to build one, eh? I just happen to be building a B.Y.O.C. Scrambled Octave kit (Ampeg Scrambler) this very day! Perhaps I'll wind up slapping together an EFY-6 clone in the near future, as well...

    I also once owned an original JAX/Shin-ei FY-2 Companion Fuzz, decades ago; it was an insane, pumping breathing sandblaster of a fuzz! I didn't know what I had, nor appreciate or understand how to use it at the time...

    Thanks again! I'm stoked that I might still be able to have and use an EFY-6'er... Too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I build this pcb, but have not sound, the transistor q4 and q5 is reverse? please post the original schematic

    I my build all components is correct and the solder is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  10. How on earth did you get the pots mounted that close together on the PCB? I'm using 16mm pots and even then had to shape the legs on the Tone and Gain so they were out of the way of the Fuzz, Balance and Octave. I also installed them the sensible way - ie. so the pots sit on the PCB rather than hanging over the front - but then realised this means the legs are connected the wrong way around, which I'm guessing will mean the unit won't work when hooked up. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete