This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Monday, March 2, 2015

Moosapotamus 360 Fuzz

Here's a bass fuzz designed by Charlie Barth from Moosapotamus.net based on the fuzz section of the classic Acoustic 360 bass preamp. It uses a mix of silicon and germanium transistors. I've made the layout to reflect the combination of transistors specified in Charlie's schematic, but socket and experiment. This layout should fit in a 1590B, but if you want to use a larger enclosure, there's a PCB of this effect for sale here with board-mounted pots.



6 comments:

  1. Hello. This is the greatest, most complete diy pedal site and I humbly thank you for all your hard work. Your clean drawings add so much value.

    I'm mainly a bass player and can't find anything close to the tones I got from an old 360 preamp even with a different cabinet. Hack, even the emulation within Amplitube sounds so good. I'd love to get your opinion. Would you consider redrawing the complete board with your super-tidy style? Or would you recommend another bass preamp instead? I find active basses a commercial gimmick more or less with their miniature 9v electronics and stick with passive basses and prefer shaping everything outside.
    You rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man, I really appreciate that. Took a look at the schematics online and it's definitely something I'm interested in working on. I'm generally a bass player myself and I'd like to have one in my rig as well. It might be something I make a dual layer board for to keep the size down. Single-sided would probably get ridiculously big. haha

      Delete
    2. Awesome. A good idea could be separating fuzz and the rest since we have the improved fuzz as seen on this page already. Just the preamp section would be smaller in size and much less work.

      BTW, I found a new-to-me bassist GAS essential by Zorg FX. Glorious Basstar! 3 band EQ, channel OD for each then to the mixer. Looks great man.

      http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com.tr/2015/11/zorg-effects-glorious-basstar.html

      http://www.zorgeffects.com/index.php/en/products/glorious-basstar-detail

      Delete
  2. Why is this PCB print partly grey? The other ones I used from your genius site are all black, but the ground all around the PCB is grey here. I am afraid it will effect the etching in a bad way.
    Also, I am noob. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I build it and it's really good. I used 2N2369 (40-120 Hfe) instead of 12N1306(60-300), and BC549C instead of BC550.

    I am impressed with how it sounds. There is a low gain fuzz touch, like the BM Ram's Head. Maybe because I used a differnt transistor. Attack and Decay allow the player to get much more possibilities from the circuit, from deep and fat sounds to a gated and synthetic fuzz. When fuzz control is fully CCW, the circuit can increase bass frequencies in the signal, acting as some kind of preamp with a vintage flavor. Thank you very much for this layout !

    ReplyDelete