This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Friday, January 22, 2016

NN Classic Fuzz

Happy #FuzzFriday everybody! Here's a circuit I found while browsing around the Free Information Society that's ripe for modification–the NN Classic Fuzz. I think I laid this out while I was on paternity leave a while back, but I just now got around to finalizing the layout. Anyway, I can't find any info on the circuit, other than the schematic on FIS. It runs off a +4.5v supply, so I added a basic voltage divider to lower the normal +9v supply voltage. Also, the schematic doesn't include any controls, so if you want to add a volume pot (start with 100k, and then adjust if need be), run a wire from the Out pad to lug 3 of the pot, lug 2 becomes the new output, and lug 1 goes to ground. Should fit nicely in a 1590a.



1 comment:

  1. I tried to revisit this one after a failed attempt that passed no sound.

    On my second try, I took a cue from Small Bear's Fuzz E One and replaced the 10k resistor to ground in the voltage divider with two green LEDs in series. I got fuzz, but also unstable voltage on the 4.5v rail. When idle, the circuit made a "pap" noise like the motion tracker in "Aliens", but faster. I then pulled out the voltage divider completely and shoehorned a 5v regulator with twisted legs into the circuit. That stabilized the voltage and got rid of the motion tracker sound, but I had lots of idle noise. In both cases, the fuzz that came through sounded mean, but not particularly unique or noteworthy.

    Someone might get this fuzz usable with some mods, but it is not worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete