This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Saturday, June 6, 2015

One-Knob Fat Fuzz

Here's another quicky for your weekend. This is based on Tim Escobedo's LoFoMoFo, but tweaked for more bass frequencies. This circuit was actually my first build and it sounds great. Although, I made the n00b mistake of using a 10n cap on the input instead of the 100n because I misread the capacitor code. So I guess I should say it sounds good with a 10n input cap. Can't really speak to the stock sound, but it's apparently very fat. Should fit easily in a 1590a.


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I haven't tried it on bass, but I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine on it.

      Delete
  2. Just little n00b question bro, why the volume doesnt mute when the knob is turn all the way down?
    Its just like it in nature?
    Great fuzz for bass anyway, fat and growly.
    Cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should mute when it's turned all the way down. Lug 1 of the volume pot goes to ground. You could have a bad pot, or maybe you wired it incorrectly?

      Delete
  3. If I want to control the "fuzz gain"? Just change the 100k resistor in the base of transistor to pot? Or the 100k resistor in the collector? Sorry for bad english

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try making the 100k resistor from 9v to the collector a pot, but a more effective gain control might be putting a pot before the input. In wire to lug 3 and lugs 2-1 go to the input pad of the circuit board.

      Delete
  4. Thanks bro.., built this for my bass and i like the sound.
    I built with the gain control as you said

    "... but a more effective gain control might be putting a pot before the input. In wire to lug 3 and lugs 2-1 go to the input pad of the circuit board."

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good qith a big muff tone stack as well

    ReplyDelete