This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Friday, July 22, 2016

EHX Satisfaction Fuzz

It's Fuzz Friday once again and this week we have the Satisfaction Fuzz from Electro Harmonix. It's essentially a Jordan Bosstone without the clipping diodes and a smaller output capacitor.


6 comments:

  1. Nice and tidy little layout, I like them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I built this scheme. Sound like more than the examples. But when I put this scheme into the case in bypass mode no sound. And when the effect works, the sound does not appear immediately and there is a lot of noise. I used the Off Board Wiring Layout from General Notes. What could be the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Verified with the components above, however it is worth experimenting with the feedback (1.5 nF) and the output (4.7 nF) caps. For the first one I used a slightly smaller cap and for the second I used a slightly higher value. It seems to me you can loose the trumpet like "satisfaction tone" if you go far away from the factory values.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My build sounds a little darker than the EHX pedal. Anyone else experience this? I was also curious where the satisfaction fuzz c7 (bass++) capacitor would connect if I wanted to add a tone/cut knob. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally came back to this build and after some experimentation, I think two cap values in the above layout are wrong. The build above is too dark when compared with the EHX pedal. The 4.7nf cap above (c4) should be replaced with the 1.5nf and the 1.5nf above (c3) should be replaced with a 47pf (per the bosstone schematic). After these changes, my build sounds exactly like my EHX. Oh, and C7 on the EHX is just a cap that runs parallel c4 to increase the effective value, so increasing the value of c4 will darken up the pedal if that's what you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you determine the correct value of C4 to be 1.5nf? I agree that this sounds a little too dark. I didn't find changing C3 to do much if anything.

      Delete