This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Negative Voltage Inverter

Here's a super quicky for your Saturday. Got a request over on Facebook for a simple voltage inverter using the 1044/7660 chipset. Great for when you need to power a positive ground effect like PNP Fuzz Faces and Tone Benders but still want to daisy chain it with negative ground effects or not use a battery.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cut the trace between pins 1 and 8 if your using a 1054. Otherwise I think that's all the modification you'd need to do. Double check the datasheets though.

      Delete
  2. My voltage inverter doesn't work. I can't understand what is wrong. There is no voltage on output

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there ! does it works with +12v in the input for +/-12v (not AC) effects ?
    Thanks ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll need to check the datasheet of the chip you're using, but I think the max input voltage of both the 1044 and 7660 is less than 12v. I think a 1054 has a higher rating though. And if you use the 1054, you'll need to cut the trace between pin 1 and 8 of the IC in the layout.

      Delete
    2. YEEEE thanks for the fast answer !! definitely give it a try soon

      Delete
  4. Hi there! First of all I'd like to sincerely thank you for the work you're doin here, I think that's incredibly useful and inspiring sooo... thank you brother. Actually, I'm also writing to tell you I just finished building this device and it's giving me -9.47v at the output so I guess you can tag it as verified, unless there are other requirements.
    I followed your layout, only difference is that I didn't connect pin1 to pin8 according to 7660's datasheet, but I also breadboarded it following your version and it works as well.
    That said, thank you again for everything, ciao from Italee :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would this work with an 18v power supply?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chip would have to be rated for that input voltage. The 7660's max is 12v I think. I think the TLC1144 can handle 18 though.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Looks like the LTC1144 rating is 2v-18v. Building a Deluxe Memory Man and it requires 18v PS AAAAAAnd a positive ground. Wish me luck.

      Delete