This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Electro Harmonix Muff Fuzzes

Around the same time that the EHX Big Muff was first released in 1969, Mike Matthews also released the Muff Fuzz. It was unrelated to the BMP other than the name, and came in the same small enclosure as the LPB-1 that plugged straight into the guitar. Later it was re-released in a floor pedal as the Little Muff Pi and more recently as the Muff Overdrive. In the mid-70s, the circuit was updated, moving away from the Fuzz Face based transistor circuit to a design based around the popular JRC4558 op-amp. I've laid out both versions below and both should fit in a 1590a.



12 comments:

  1. Transistor version not working :(
    Tested on pcb and breadboard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be because I had the 100k resistor that was supposed to go from the emitter of Q2 to the base of Q1 going to the collector of Q1 *facepalm*

      It's fixed now. Sorry about that!

      Delete
  2. I built the op-amp version using the PCB. Verified. Nice little quick build, with a vintage sound that's quite close to the original.
    Thanks for another wellmade layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I built the tranny version last december and it didn't work.
    I see that it has been fixed.
    Now it works perfectly.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, can I use 1n4148 for 1n34a? I've seen that they should be similar for these kind of application...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you can use them. The 2 don't sound the same, but you're pretty safe using them here.

      Delete
  5. hi, i try to made Hi. I'm trying to make muff fuzz transistor version. But why not work? But I've followed all you post here. help me :( thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I'm trying to make muff fuzz transistor version. But why not work? But I've followed all you post here. help me :( thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I'm trying to make muff fuzz transistor version. But why not work? But I've followed all you post here. help me :( thanks

    ReplyDelete