This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

EarthQuaker Devices Ghost Echo

The Ghost Echo is a nice little reverb unit, and uses the Belton BTDR-2H-L digital reverb module, as well as a PT2399. I'm not going to lie, this layout gave me some issues (at one point it made DIYLC crash). Even had to use a jumper (which annoys the heck out of me, as you may have picked up on). You won't be able to squeeze it into a 1590B, but a 125B should be a good fit. The Belton brick can be mounted directly to the board from the solder-side.

Here's what EQD's website says about the effect:

Vintage spring reverb emulation capable of providing a little atmosphere all the way through to vast depths in one tiny box. The attack control sets the delay of the initial pick attack on the wet signal only. When playing staccato this registers as a slap back type echo hitting the reverb but when playing fluid lines it adds a massive depth and “fattens” up the sound. The dwell control is a fine tune function that enhances the decay and the depth controls the intensity of the reverb.



Update: If you're having a hard time getting unity volume, try replacing the 10k resistor of pin 9 of the TL074 just above the 2.2uF cap with a 17k resistor (or something close to that).

30 comments:

  1. I tried the PCB layout and I'm having some issues- the input is very heavily gated and farty. BUT I can hear the echo from it... and that sounds pretty good.
    The only part replacement I made were the lm7805- I swapped them with some 78L05 I had laying around... but I dont think that could be the problem.
    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the 7805s shouldn't matter at all. I'm no expert when it comes to trouble shooting, especially with a circuit this complicated. I'd double check your ICs. I think some PT2399s can be somewhat flakey. Though, I kinda doubt that IC is what's giving you trouble. I was going to suggest you ask over on the FSB thread, but I see you already did. Hopefully more knowledgable folks over there will chime in.

      Delete
  2. Has this layout been verified? I wonder if I just need to start over from scratch... which is no problem so long as theres hope in that the layout is verified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. cool... I'll just make a new one from scratch and report back. Thanks for your help!

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    I found mistake on the PCB. Input first 1M to ground second 1M to 4V5 (Depth3) not to ground.

    sound ... almost like spring. I use BTDR2H - middle, bud in my opinion must be long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the catch, Marcin. The layout has been updated.

      Delete
  5. Built and it sounds great but I've got a slight volume drop. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Additionally I"m not getting that slap found at 2:55 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmTpSX2cd9o
      The dwell is extremely subtle

      Delete
    2. Not sure why you'd get a volume drop. I'd post over on the FSB thread on this circuit and see if better minds than mine can help you trouble shoot. It's not quite my forte, especially with circuits as complicated as this.

      Delete
  6. Hello man i would like to do this pedal and i have read the comments and i dont know if it´s
    100% verified or not
    So hope you can help me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would say it's verified. The layout it good based off the schematic from FSB. The comment above about the volume drop is the only one I've seen like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi i just read in the fsb thread and the sabrotone vero layout of this one that changin the r5 that has the value of 10k in this layout is the one that is in series with the 470r you can solve the problem incresing it about 17k http://www.sabrotone.com/?attachment_id=3884 i know it is spam but it could help someone

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is LM7805 the same with 78L05? or can be replaced by it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. 10nF and 22nF near PT2399 should be 1nF and 2,2nF

    ReplyDelete
  11. there are differences between btdr 2h l and btdr 2h m?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The L is longer delay time than the M. Personally I prefer the L.

      Delete
  12. Hello, how are you? I've been looking schematic. There are two errors 10n and 22n are actually 1n and 2n2, correct? Anything else my unit also has a loss of volume. what can I do? Grateful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replace the 10n and the 22n, and it's working great; the wet signal is now more present with the "death" at max. (sorry for my bad english)

      Delete
  13. Verified!
    I made it and sound good.
    But I got some high frequency noise too.
    And Dwell has no change
    Any idea please?


    ReplyDelete
  14. hello, i don't have any reverb in the output
    does anybody has voltages for the ics?
    I used an audio probe and notices I don't have audio on pins 13, 14 and 16 of the pt2399, is this normal?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. i used an audio probe, i have audio at pin 15 on the pt2399, but not on pins 13, 14 or 16.
    maybe it's a pt2399 problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to check the data sheet of the ic and see what those pins do.

      Delete
  16. Just want to say that I tried replacing R5 with 17K like suggested above and I've got unity volume.
    Maybe this should be put out as a recommended mod

    ReplyDelete