This is a library of perfboard and single-sided PCB effect layouts for guitar and bass. I'm not an electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination, just a DIY'er who likes drawing layouts. It is meant for the hobbyist (so commercial use of any of these layout is not allowed without permission) and as a way to give back to the online DIY community.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

EHX Big Muff - Triangle

I know, this is the 3rd different BMP layout I've done, but this is the one I'm the most happy with. It will easily fit in a 1590B, it has board mounted pots, and said pots aren't all in one row across the top. As with the other Big Muff layouts, you can build pretty much any version on this layout (just refer to the schematics), but the components listed here are for the '72 Triangle version. For the board-mounted pots, I drew this layout with these kind of pots in mind mounted on the solder-side of the board.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yep. Anything that's been verified will have the "Verified" tag at the bottom of the post.

      Delete
  2. Hey man, really digging your layouts, they are awesome!
    Anyways, I finished doing this one and I followed every step of the layout/schematic and everything, but i used BC547B transistors instead of the 2N5089 or the MPSA18 or the BC550C, because I couldn't find any on my country (or at least in my city) and I noticed the pedal has REALLY low gain, could that be the effect of the transistors? Should I change them?
    That's all, thank you, and again: your layouts are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BC547B is a lower gain transistor so it might be the culprit in this case. If you can find the BC547C you should have better luck. Really, just about any transistor with a gain higher than ~300hFE should work fine. I've built several BMPs with 2N3904s with 350hFE and they all sound great.

      Delete